Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Not Up to Par




Doesn't that look like a wonderful place for children to learn and grow? The licensing representative just left my lovely little house. I didn't pass. Ugh. Oh, well, I didn't figure I would, but it would have been nice. Here is where my home is "deficient:"

1. Swing arm of Rainbow Play Structure is attached to Tree Fort portion. A $4,000 safety hazard. Now, just look at the picture. Does that look like a deficiency to you?
2. Required postings were not posted. I had them laying out on cubbie shelf, though. I had sent the master to Wal*Mart for a bulletin board and he brought back a teeny tiny version. Um, baby, I've got to tack up 15 ginormous posters. But I set out the posters with the wrong size board right there, so obviously, I knew what had to be posted and where. But apparently a miss is a mile for the DPS.
3. No child locks on bathroom cabinets.
4. I have to keep diaper cremes locked up??!!
5. Tire swing rope "looks worn"??? It didn't to me. Last night four of the kids and two of the dachshunds were swinging on it as high and fast as it could go, and it did just fine, but I didn't bring that up to her. She probably would have cited it as serious safety violation--not to mention the contamination issues associated with children actually touching living creatures. I swear, if the state has their way, pretty soon our children will be taken from us at birth and zipped up in little plastic bubbles. They're safer that way, 'ya know.
6. No adhesive tape in first aid kit. Another one I can blame on hubby. I said, "I need adhesive tape for the first aid kit," and he brought me rug tape. For making sure your throw rugs don't slip. Mixed signals, I suppose. I also needed surgical gloves. He brought home dish washing gloves. The lesson here is never send your husband to the store when purchasing articles for a home daycare.

Instead of dismantling our children's dream backyard, we will stretch a chain link fence across a portion of it. A bare, lifeless, small, but very, very safe corner. I will take the daycare kids to this prison for one half hour every day and they will stand and look over the fence as the Israelites looked over the Jordan, and the state will say, "Well done!" I will go to Wal*Mart and make a few exchanges, and the master will install a few more child locks and we will be good to go.

3 comments:

CDJ said...

You have a lovely back yard...and your house is so cute. Do you get points for cute? Here, have 1000 bonus points for just being so darn cute. Hope they come in handy. Miss ya

6blessings said...

Unbelievable. I know that there has to be regulations, but OH MY GOODNESS. I'm sure they would hate many of the "hazards" around my house. Why can't kids just be kids and have fun in the mud and climbing trees? I'm sure those are too unsanitary and dangerous too.

Anyway, sounds like fairly easy things to fix, minus the playground situation. Hope you are certified(?) soon. I'm not sure if that's the right word or not.

Tami said...

Good grief! That's ridiculous! I'm pretty sure my babysitter doesn't have child safety locks on her cabinets (let alone bathroom ones) and they have a swimming pool in the backyard (GASP!). And the kids get to swim in it (GASP, GASP) - fully supervised, of course! :)