Monday, July 09, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

Yum! I just finished two pieces of the best pumpkin pie I ever made. We had turkey and dressing for dinner. I'm in the cooking cycle again and you can get five good meals out of one $13.00 turkey. I brine my turkeys, which makes them juicy and flavorful. We had the "Thanksgiving" dinner tonight. I've never understood why we only eat a meal that tasty once a year. To finish off the bird we'll have turkey casserole (there will be leftovers for lunch the next day), and two meals of turkey soup. But, they are frozen for later in the month. I'm trying to avoid turkey overkill.
Some questions from comments: Esther, we have five kids: 8, 6, 4 (almost five), 3, and 1. I did only spend $250 for all of last month ($200 this month, woohoo!), but to be completely honest we qualify for WIC, and I'll attend all of the demeaning classes necessary to keep it current. I have no pride. That means that all of my cereal, milk, cheese, peanut butter, beans, and juice is free. That's right--0.00 dinero. It makes a big difference in my week to week spending. Especially when you consider that we consume one and a half gallons of milk per day. Jenny, we are not still selling our house. We were sure when we put it on the market that God was going to be moving us out of the area in the imminent future. When the master changed jobs/careers/life situation, we decided we might as well continue to put equity into this house for the next few years instead of throwing it away in rent--which for this size house would probably be as much or more than what we are paying on the mortgage.
Haven't been posting lately, though I'm keeping up with everyone's blog. I'm kind of...bummed? Bored? Busy? All of the above and none of the above. I dunno. So glad to hear for my adopting friends that Russia is granting accreditation--and that Slugger is home with Maggie.

2 comments:

6blessings said...

I'm amazed at the $250 thing. I can't imagine. Milk is a big one! We go through it too. In fact, my hubby made milk rationings for the kids. I'm not thrilled with it, but I do understand the money issue.

Tami said...

I'm impressed with $250. That's great...even with WIC. My dearest friend has six kids and is also on WIC and still spends at least twice that amount on groceries. How do you do it?