Sunday, June 24, 2007

My Weekend

I survived the weekend. It was pretty uneventful after all. Friday night I stayed up late finishing a good book: Fair is the Rose. I got all the way to the end and discovered that it was one of a set. UGH! Don't you just hate it when that happens? They should put a disclaimer right up front: THIS STORY TO BE CONTINUED. So, I took the kids to the library on Saturday, hoping to find the next book and finish the story. Of course, they do not have any of the other books in the series. The kids got some new books and a couple of DVDs. I left a bag of express mail on the dock Saturday, so I'm probably going to get my butt chewed tomorrow, but I'll get over it. We're eating off the freezer meals now. About five minutes before dinner, I just pop a zip-lock in the microwave and fill up some milk glasses. Yeah, I'm warming up to the once-a-month thing. Except the potatoes in today's pot roast had a disgusting texture. I'm going to have to work on my spud freezing finesse. This morning, I got everyone that was here to church on time. During the sermon the guy mentioned Cinderella, so while I folded clothes this afternoon, I watched Ever After for the hundredth time. I don't remember much else from the sermon--too many stories and anecdotes. Like a recipe from the once-a-month cookbook, I found myself wondering, "Where's the meat?" I miss my old pastor. And I'm getting tired of visiting churches. I thought that by leaving the pastorate, we would be able to explore new churches unobtrusively. Move out of the lime light, so to speak, but so far, it hasn't played out that way. We are simply fawned over wherever we go. It makes me uncomfortable, and I can't help wondering if all visitors would be treated to such an enthusiastic (bordering on desperate) welcome. What if we didn't know the lyrics to the songs, the order of service, carry our Manual, or speak the language? What if we weren't a white, middle class, nuclear family? How would we feel? How would we be treated? I'm sure once we get settled somewhere and join we'll just be part of the family and not a prize to be won, but this visiting is rough. Tomorrow the three oldest head back to swimming lessons at Nana's, and me Rina, and Randy will hang out at the old homestead. It was VERY quiet around here last week. Visions of things to come.

2 comments:

6blessings said...

Sounds like a good weekend. I've never had much luck freezing potatoes either. I don't think some things freeze well. I've thought of trying the month thing and did it somewhat once. It didn't last long. Sounds convenient though. I don't think I used the right recipes.

Hope your week is good and that you get to be normal people at church soon.

Tami said...

I can't stand the church hunt. When we first moved here it took us six months to find a church, and even then it didn't 'fit.' The church family was great, but they had an interim pastor who ended up being too liberal. We stuck it out for about a year, because there wasn't anything else and because we thought they were doing a search and would bring some other candidates in. Then one Sunday the church announced that they had voted to call Mr. Liberal as their pastor. We felt strongly that he was preaching things that weren't Biblical, so we left. We finally found a great Bible-believing church in a town north of us about 30 miles...we started attending and loved it so much we bought a house there.
We'll be praying that you find something soon.