Monday, September 03, 2007

Crocodile Smiles




For Ian's 5th birthday! I planned a last minute party--as in the day before--for Ian's birthday. This was the weekend closest to the date, which is today, but originally thought that we would not have it until next week because of the holiday. Then something came up for the the next week....and then the next....and finally I just said, "Phooey. If we don't celebrate the kid's birthday this week, it will be October before we get around to it." I decided this on Friday afternoon. I printed some homemade invitations up and rushed down to his school to pass them out as the last bell rang. We had the party on Saturday. I had planned a StarWars party at a Laser Tag place in the morning, and what we had was an Alligator Party at a Gator farm in the afternoon. But the birthday boy had a blast, and that is the important thing! He is my go-with-the-flow kid, so no worries about places or times for him. Several of his new school friends came and he LOVES the Gator Farm. They have several varieties of reptiles--crocodiles, and turtles in addition to alligators--and a very educational, hands-on presentation of the park. The highlight of the day was watching Gwendolyn, their new Nile crocodile, take a snap at a chicken leg. The pop of her jaws sounded like a gun shot. Seeing how fast that crocodile moved, it is hard to believe that Steve Irwin was killed by a sting ray.
It was a fevered few hours trying to pull off an impromptu 3-D alligator cake, but the result was so cute! The general idea I stole from a website but made a few adjustments. I used the Herbie cake pan from K's birthday, my bundt, muffin, and round cake pans, two big marshmallows, fruit slices candy, one rolled out tootsie roll, and lots and lots of green icing. Ian said that I am very 'creatable.'


Happy Birthday Ian!

6 comments:

Chaos and Grace said...

Holy Crocodiles Batman! That is one awesome cake. I am way impressed.
That kid looks like his mama - handsome fella!

Tami said...

That cake is awesome!!! I don't know how you pulled that off in less than 24 hours! Way to go! I am humbled in the presence of cake decorating greatness.

6blessings said...

Incredible cake and such a cool party in such a short time! Wow!! I am also super impressed!

CDJ said...

wowwie, wow, wow! I don't know which is cuter....Ian or that gator-cake....Ian, but that cake is sumpin' else! What were you saying about working best under pressure?? Orchestrating our best work, are we? Good job!

Allison said...

Amazing cake!!! Looks like an amazing party too! The birthday boy is absolutely adorable.

junglemama said...

What a cool idea! My boys would love a party like this. Neat cake.