Friday, August 22, 2008

One last, last post...

I don't have a problem. I can quit any time.....

But this one is funny! I will forget it, if I don't post it now. **Scroll down for an updated pic of the babe**

We've packed up all of Marina's baby dolls but one. She is quite bereft. And she isn't letting Lucy out of her sight, I can tell you. She managed to pilfer one baby bottle from being packed away, as well. She was giving Lucy her bottle while I sorted items on the couch.

Marina: Lucy is hungry. I'm feeding her.
Me: Yes, you take such good care of your babies.
Marina: She is drinking milk from her bottle.

[Now, as I continue, I just want to go on record that I am not a breastfeeding freak. I didn't nurse any of my kids past a year (though I don't see anything wrong with that). Marina never had a drop of breastmilk herself and she is healthy as a horse. But I do firmly feel that breastmilk is the best food for babies, and I want to do everything I can to make sure my grandchildren have the best chance at getting the best. I've always encouraged the girls to "nurse" their babies when it comes up. Does that make me wierd??!! It is not like we talk about it all the time. We've actually only discussed it twice since Cara came home. The conversation I noted earlier and this one. When Ian and Randy were infants, first Abby and then Marina could regurlarly be seen lifting their shirts to give a dolly a little snack. Too cute!! Lately though, all they've been getting is the old plastic nipple (like Cara)]

I'm always curious to know--her play is a good inidicator of where we are with processing the whole birth and adopted thing--so I asked, "Did Lucy come out of your tummy, or did you adopt her?"

Marina: pausing a moment to consider She came out of my tummy.
Me: Oh, then you should give her milk from your breast. That is the kind of milk babies like best.
Marina: lifting her shirt and studying her teensies, then looking up at me doubtfully Mommy. pounting now with her finger at my chest. You have big milks. I only have little milks.

6 comments:

CDJ said...

Wowie, I'm laughing out loud! Not to be crude, but if you, my dear friend, posess "big" milks, what does this say for present company and the rest of the vitamin "D" milks??? I am frightened by those adjectives. I LOVE MARINA!! Git'er up here, quick!

Megan said...

o my my... that's hilarious!

Hope everything is going well with the move.

Deb said...

Oh that is so cute. And the pic of Cara is adorable. She just gets cuter all the time. I can see why you struggle with packing when you have that little blessing to hold and watch.

junglemama said...

What a cute story.

Chaos and Grace said...

I do not have your e-mail address, and I am terrible about not leaving comments. Cara is so precious. You are such a blessing. I love reading your blog and keeping up with all that your family is doing these days. I hope you do sneak in a post now and then soon to give us an update.

outdoor.mom said...

That is cute :-) When my oldest girl was smaller she tried to nurse her dolls. It was hilarious!

I'm at work and wishing i could nurse my baby!!!!! Its her first time going 12 hours - waahhh!!!