Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Enquiring Minds?

I have come to the decision that my blog buddies are the most uncurious folks on the planet. It might be that you just have alot more tact than I do. Hey, ya'll are a classy bunch of ladies! Perhaps you are simply tired of hearing about this adoption already. Or, it could be that most of you have HUGE, life-changing stuff you are dealing with at present. As a matter of fact, I have some of that going on, too. But since, at the moment, we are stuck in limbo, with no idea IF or WHEN those events may occur, there is no sense blogging about it. So in the interest of keeping this blog going, I will address some questions that have been posed to us in the past few weeks by people in the real world.

1. Closed or Open? or Have you heard from the (birth) mom?

As it stands now, I guess you would say that our adoption is closed. C.C. walked out of the hospital the next day after we arrived. She went right back out on the streets and back to her former lifestyle, despite our urging and our agency's offer to relocate and enter a rehab program. She talked as though she wanted that as well, but in the end the pull of her addictions were too strong. It breaks my heart. Even now, I am crying over her life. I do not--and she does not--believe she will live much longer. I don't look for her to contact our agency again, but if she should, the door will be open on our end. I serve a miracle working God. That has never been more evident to me than in this adoption process. C.C. herself described her life as being in a deep, dark, pit that she could not climb out of. If Christ should work a miracle in her and rescue her out of that pit, no one on earth will rejoice more than the master and I.
P.S. on this question: I am the mom!

2. On the lighter side, here is one that has been posed to us each time we have added a child since Abby: Are you done?

We are done....for now. I look around and our family seems pretty complete to me. Three boys, three girls. But it has felt that way five times before. We've always answered this question--and we hear it frequently--with, "We want eight. Because eight is enough." And from those folks old enough to remember the t.v. show, we get a chuckle, and the conversation moves on. We don't know what the Lord has in store for us. Maybe six. Maybe seven (but I'm not too keen on odd numbers). Maybe eight. We'll see. But for now, we're good.
K often asks us if we will be like the family in Arkansas--with 15 (or is it 16? 17?) kids. I feel I can answer that with a confident, blanket, unqualified, "NO!"

3. What about the (birth) father?

The birth father is unknown. In compliance with Texas law, the agency will run an add in the local paper where Cara was born, but it is almost unheard of that anyone steps forward to be tested in these cases. We are not in the least bit worried that the adoption is at risk.

4. Why not international? and How did you/why did you get this baby?

In and of itself, this question tickles me, because when we were adopting Marina, we got: Why not domestic? I've already posted about why we pursued domestic, and how we were matched with Cara, so I won't go into that. I'm adding these questions because of the way in which they have been asked. This question has been posed to me twice since we brought Cara home and both times in a tone of disapproval. In both instances, the person knew of someone (either friend or family member) who had been trying for years to get pregnant and/or adopt domestically with no success. Most people have no clue as to how complicated, expensive, and difficult an international adoption is. They've seen the news broadcasts showing rows and rows of babies in cribs, and they think you just fly over there and pick one up. They perceive that there is a "shortage" of babies available for adoption in the U.S. What they may not know is that there are not near as many white, healthy infants available for adoption as there are people wanting to adopt them. What they definitely do not know (because we are not willing to disclose it to them) is that Cara did not fall into that category. I'm sure that, had any of the other families at our agency been open to a baby with Cara's history, we would never have received that wonderful call. All they see is a beautiful, perfect baby being placed with a couple who have FIVE other children. I'm sure it doesn't seem "fair" to them. Both times, I've answered this question with, "God did it." It is what I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt. She was meant to be in our family. But I'm sure that is cold comfort for someone who has grieved over an empty cradle for years. Since you all are the most gracious, tactful people I know, maybe you have some suggestions for me on this one?

5 comments:

Tami said...

Thanks for answering our unasked questions. I had meant to send you a private email to ask these questions, but hadn't gotten around to it. ;>) I'm so glad God placed Cara in such a loving family. It is going to be a joy to follow her over the next few weeks, months, years...to see how God works in her precious life.
As far as the final question...sorry I don't have any great wise words to offer you. The hurt of infertility runs pretty deeps, so I understand their pain. But your answer is so true. God did it. He has a plan. And its PERFECT. ;>)
Now...pictures. I need more pictures!

Maggie said...

I got the "Why not international?" question when I was adopting domestically, too. Vice versa when I was adopting from Russia. Seems no matter what you do, someone has a criticism. My general answer to that was that kids are kids whether they're from Russia, or Guatamala, or China, or the US, or wherever.

Regarding the "how did you get this baby" question, I think the answer would depend on the motivation behind the question. If someone is just being rude, then I don't think you need to justify it with anything more than your pat answer. If someone is asking out of hurt, though. (Like you mentioned people who wait for years to adopt domestically... if it's not the asker themselves, they could be thinking of someone they know and love.) I think it would be OK to explain that when you complete your homestudy you enter a list of criteria of what you can accept (conditions, etc., whatever it is that you were eluding to in your post). Cara's background made you a perfect match for her. If they ask for specifics, you can just say that you feel that would be breaching your daughter's privacy.

Deb said...

We got the same thing. When waiting on Russia we were asked why not domestic and then when we switched why not international. You can never please everyone.

In answer to the people that have been waiting and are truly asking because they want to know why it happened so fast, I'd be honest with them and tell them simply that you were open to things that other couples weren't open to. I think that is why domestic adoptions are so slow. People want the perfect white child and that's gonna take some time. We were told by our agency when we brought Isabel home that some families weren't going to be happy that we were matched so quickly but the follow up to that comment from them was that we were just open to more. Sorry to ramble it's a hot point with me.

Glad to hear you're open to contact with CC in the future if she wants it.

Kelly said...

Jess,

I'm so glad you, and Cara, and your whole wonderful family found each other. I'm praying for y'all every day.

I get the why foster/care adoption, why not international, why not....question all the time. I have to say that I usually just say because God knew our children were in foster care and that's where we found them. If they are really nosey, I'll say "Oh, are you asking because you are pursuing an international adoption?" When they say no, then I just smile and move the conversation on in another direction.

Suz said...

Speaking of Enquiring minds!! I'm dying to hear about your weekend!