Sunday, October 01, 2006

Wardrobe Blues

I'm posting tonight. I don't want to pick up my task of wardrobe sorting. I love my big family and like Dr. Suess's Lorax, we plan to keep biggering and biggering. BUT--I despise the seasonal clothing thing. If we had the money, I'd fill up garbage sacks with all the things that don't fit them any more and I'd haul it all to Goodwill. Next stop would be Gymboree, where I'd buy them everything they needed for the upcoming fall. Since we don't have the money, I put the Wardrobe Sort off as long as possible. It usually takes two good Sundays of complete clothing crisis to motivate me. This morning's frantic scramble made Sunday #2.
How the Su_____ Were Attired for the Sabbath:
Baby R-Diaper, one piece jumper (but he is a baby, so it doesn't really matter what he wears.)
M-red, white and blue sundress (o.k., because temperatures are still well over 90 here) red tights (not o.k., because, well, because temperatures are still well over 90 here, but no Sunday School socks could be found), navy blue mary janes (don't really go with whole sundress look, and are 1/2 size too small)
I-black wranglers (about 6 inches too long) red t-shirt with navy blue stripe (yes, that isn't a typo he was wearing navy with black. Plus, the shirt was a size too small and had a grease stain right up front.), Spider Man tennis shoes.
A-Baby blue with yellow and white dandelions sundress(not quite so o.k. because it SCREAMS summer. A has worn it two summers. We bought it at the second hand store and it is beginning to pill badly), school sandals. Once we arrived, I realized that her hair had not been brushed, because we had been so busy with finding clothes.
K-Navy blue plaid shirt size 7 (he wears size 8) navy blue slacks size 7 (two words- High Water), white sport socks (which could clearly be seen because the pants stopped a good two inches before his leg did), brown dress shoes.
I know the good Lord doesn't care what you wear, but it really bothers ME. I think I feel more stress for everyone to look nice because I don't want people to think, "Oh, look, there goes the Su______, they have so many kids, they can't even get them dressed decent." Which, maybe we can't! But I don't want any body to know that! Also, people do look at the pastor's family. It is not like we can slip into a back pew after the service has started and then slip out again as it closes. Nope. We gotta stand there and shake hands and hug necks of every single person as they exit.
So, after naps today, I nagged DH into bringing in the tough totes from the shed. A dozen Rubbermaids were eventually lugged in and placed in the various bedrooms. Boxes marked, Su_____ Boy 0-3 months, Su______ Girl Winter 3T, Su______ Boy Summer 2T/3T. I have to go through every box. Check size, length, fading, style. "Will M, be able to wear this this winter? Hmm, looks short. Best pack it back up. What about these? Yes, this should fit just right, but where is the top that went with it? Oh, this is so cute, but the hem needs to be replaced...." And on and on it goes--forever! I stop and make notes, like, "A needs brown boots to go with brown butterfly outfit. K needs four pair dress socks. Pink bottoms missing for kitty cat sweater. Need size 2T." When that is done, all the old clothes that are in good enough condition or will be the right season/sex/style for X child to inherit have to be packed up in the appropriate tote, all the others taken to Goodwill. After I drop the sacks off at the front door, I drive around to the front and shop for the things on my list! If I don't find it, we move up to resale, then I have to shop for remaining items at the mall. And when do I have the time or money for mall shopping? It is just a BIG, BIG job and I don't like it. But you probably already guessed that.
That's my Sunday night vent. Hey, I lost two pounds this week. Yeah, me!
Sorry about the spelling errors, but for some reason blogger isn't letting me run spell check.

4 comments:

6blessings said...

Oh my goodness!! I can SOOOOO relate to this post. I too own tubs marked with different genders and sizes. I too shop at children's consignment and resale shops or bargain department stores. We are like hand-me-down magnets for everyone.

You have beat me to the dreaded seasonal job. I'm proud of you. I am still cringing, telling myself we can make it a little longer until I have to tackle that chore. It is still warm here too and so it's okay to wait, isn't it? :-)

Jennifer said...

ok..I have done it...for myself only. It sounds selfish, but I just needed clothes that weren't full of pregnancy pouches and I had packed away all of my old normal clothes. And my children often wear their school uniform shorts or shirt to church because navy and khaki just seem to be all we have! Congrats on the two pounds!!!! Now I need to get movin too!

Suz said...

Oh my, I've been putting off rotating D's wardrobe since it has still been so hot. And I only have ONE child! I can certainly sympathize with your pain on this. I actually have been dreading the thought of doing two children's wardrobes. Although, I need to go clean out V's closet since she won't be able to wear most of the things I bought her because they're for summer. Oh well, my friend who is to have a baby girl tomorrow (induced) will have lots of new cute outfits!

Suz said...

Yay on losing 2 pounds! Just think of all the calories you're going to burn lugging those tough totes and sorting those clothes!