Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Comments

I have just been made aware that my comments setting has been screwy the past few days. I had a few unwanted comments left on my "new online job" post. I should have known better than to word it like that, I was basically throwing the welcome mat out for spam. I'd inadvertently enabled TOO much comment blockage--no one could get through. And I thought you didn't care!
A short update on our whirlwind weekend. After tests all day at the hospital on Friday, we woke early to prepare for Abby's my little pony party. Her birthday falls right before Christmas, so we try to have her birthday party early every year. In the midst of party prep and party time, I cleaned house, finished Christmas cards, and fielded a hundred calls from church members who had heard through the "prayer chain" a.k.a. "the grapevine" about Randy's tests. Of course, by the end of the chain, we had just discovered he was in the last stages of cancer and not expected to live much longer. The final call of the day was from the pediatrician who proclaimed that, "All tests look very good. Ah-so feed the baby and feed the baby and bring baby to me--two weeks." Much relief on our part. We are certainly feeding the baby and feeding the baby. Sunday church and then Christmas covered dish meal to follow. Abby wasn't feeling well, but I did not want to miss because I played hookey last Sunday. I gave her a very light breakfast and assumed it was just a case of too-much-birthday. Her Sunday school teacher gave everyone a box of Gushers candy, which she woofed down, despite her queasy stomach (I agree with Bill Cosby that all children are brain damaged...and this is proof). Needless to say, that she gushed the Gushers. So thankful, though, that I caught THE LOOK in time to get her out of the sanctuary. She was sick and moody the rest of the day with the 24-hour bug. Randy got it on Monday--the kid we are supposed to feed and feed. So far, no one else has tossed their cookies, but it is only a matter of time.
I let the kids stay home from school today and we did holiday baking. They aren't doing anything at school this week except watch movies and goof off, so I figured, why not? I am growing more and more displeased with this new school. It seems to me that they spend 90% of their time playing. I do not send my kids to school to watch movies! At least they spent their time today reading recipes, writing lists, and measuring ingredients. You've probably gathered from my previous posts that I'm not a big homeschooling proponent, but for the first time since K was four, I am seriously considering it.

6 comments:

6blessings said...

Glad the tests came out okay. That is such a relief. Sorry you had to deal with stomach sickness. That's the worst.

Homeschooling isn't so bad, but it's definitely not for everyone. We take ours year by year. Every year about this time I say, "They're going back to school next year." Then over the summer, we decide we want them to stay home. There are pros and cons to both sides of the coin. Prayer is definitely the key.

Chaos and Grace said...

Praise God about the tests.

About the school - we should have a talk. K's class plays outside for 45 minutes (Recess), takes a 30 minute nap, has 45 minutes in PE, eats breakfast until 8:30 (from 7:45), colors, does one letter a week, colors, and I could go on. They might do some work for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day. They did the letter "S" for two weeks and Kaitlin is reading Junie B. books (b/c I basically homeschool in addition to school)!
I am not homeschooling b/c we live in a tiny town and go to a small church where K is the only one in her class. In other words, no school - no friends - no social life. There is no MOPS or anything remotly like it. No one here stays home, and they tend to look at me like a monkey with wings b/c I do.
Am I writing my own blog??? We should chat, b/c I have really struggled about the school issue this year.
Just a side - Kaitlin's teacher is a wonderful Christian woman who I love. However, she has several students who still can't write their name, so whatdya do?

Suz said...

Yes, I'm so glad everything is ok!

See, we really do love you - you just wouldn't let us tell you!!

TraciB said...

I got SOOO mad yesterday when I typed you this LOOONG comment and it was zapped away by blogger TWICE!!!! I forgive blogger now...maybe:-)
I am so glad to hear things are okay! I wanted to give you a suggestion... our daughter was quite underweight when we got her home... I started mixing baby formula(powdered) into Pediasure to give her a big whammy on nutrients and fat at eat feeding... now I know that you breatfeed but I wondered if you could try it as a supplement or in a sippy cup. She has gained 7 lbs AMAZINGLY and grown 3 inches in 5 months:-) She eats solids too -WOW!!!!
Anyway, good luck!

TraciB said...

Barbara Rila is the doctor we went to. I liked her- she felt Poppie was doing well in our "Theraputic parenting" and said to contact her if we needed any further help... I am not sure if I feel competent and happy about that or like we got a kick in the butt because she didnt see what she wanted to see in that one first visit.
Have you read any of the books I have on my book list? They have been my touchstone for every single day with our daughter.

Deb said...

Glad Randy is going to be okay. It's funny who prayer chains get a little disstorted. We had a car accident once and the church ended up telling everyone my brother died. Which he didn't he was the only one without a scratch!?!?!

Anyhow, very glad he is fine and I hope whatever bug that's going around passes quickly.