Friday, December 15, 2006

Going To The Prom and Deviled Eggs

Whenever I have an event to attend that I really don't want to go to, I pretend like I'm back in highschool getting ready for the prom. Do you remember starting at about 10:00 in the morning making yourself beautiful? You had appointments for the whole day. Hair at 11:00. Nails at 3:00. Facial 4:30. You knew at 6:00 when your date arrived you were the absolute best that you could be. Well, I don't really go to a salon for my little flights of fancy, but I take extra special care and concern for every detail of my appearance. When I get where I'm going, at least I know, no matter what else happens or what I must endure, that I look nice. It helps. I take this little mental vacation on days when, lets say I have to appear in court before a cold Russian judge, or sit through a observation review meeting with an administrator I can't stand, or...
ATTEND THE SENIOR ADULT ANNUAL CHRISTMAS PROGRESSIVE SUPPER
Are they very sweet, very nice old people? Yes. Is everyone as kind as kind can be? Yes. Aren't these the same people that have helped you and your family out time and time again? Yes. Is the food delicious? Yes. Is it dull as dirt? You bet your boots.
But I still would not have dreaded it if 8 ladies had not taken it upon themselves to call me especially and remind me of the date and time and that they had hired babysitters for me this year (which was how I got out of it last year) and that they were so looking forward to seeing me. There is something about me you should know: The more you try to make me do something, the less likely I am to do it. The master says I am "like a stubborn ass" that way. T'would be offensive if it were not so true. But obviously my attendance at this party was really important to them, and they have been so kind, and they did take care of all my excuses this year (gosh darn it), so off to the prom I go.
That is my mental health tip of the day. Now for more practical matters. I am taking deviled eggs to the prom. This is how I make them speedy quick and easy. After you have boiled your eggs, peeled and halved them, pop yolks into ziplock bag. Mash with fork inside of the bag. Add your favorite ingredients (I use mayo, mustard, and Tony's seasoning) zip up bag and kneed to mix. Cut off tip of bag and "squirt" yolk filling into eggs. Presto! Fill all your eggs quickly with no mess. Just toss bag when done. No dishes to wash.
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend...I think I hear the limo pulling up outside. Ta-ta!

2 comments:

Chaos and Grace said...

You crack me up! Happy Prom:)
(And funny enough - we also have an annual progressive supper - only for the whole church!)

TraciB said...

I am sure you were lovely and your friends were very appreciative of your beauty... or maybe they ate their food and fell asleep while you were talking to them like my grandma.
I actually have been in the middle of a story to hear the faint whisper of a snore... very nice. I just think- uh yeah... you get in a nap and I will just shut up and not bother you with my thoughts anymore:-) Old people are so lucky!
http://traceeburnm.spaces.live.com/