Monday, June 04, 2007

Eight Random Things

I've been tagged for a MeMe by Tami. Haven't done one of these in a while, and haven't done any this open ended. Eight random things about me? Not eight random items under my bed? Not eight random moods for the month? Not eight random people I've been? Just eight things about me....
1) I have six scars. A white patch on my forehead where I scratched off a mole when I eight years old and decided I did not want to go through life with an Islamic dot. Two tiny marks under my mouth where I bit through my lip falling off the monkey bars. A small raised line on the back of my right hand, beneath my thumb where I pinched my skin in my trombone slide one morning in first period band. Large ugly scar across my lower abdomen from four "bikini" C-sections. Now, supposedly this type of C-section got its name from the claim that women could still wear a bikini after the procedure. Further proof that doctors have a sick, twisted, bizarre sense of humor is not needed. Just beneath this gruesome incision are two faint lines from having a Hernia repaired at four years old. I have one tiny scar on the back of my left ankle where I was cut by a glass bottle explosion. The cut was very deep and long, and needed stitches, but the idea going to the hospital kept making me pass out, so a friend of the family told us to bandage it with a cloth dipped in turpentine and heavily sprinkled with sugar. We did and it healed beautifully, you have to look close to see the scar, and if one of the kids ever gets a cut like that, I'm going to try it again. If anyone can explain to me why this crazy home remedy worked, I'd be most appreciative.
2) I'm a two time world champion yodeler. Nah. But that would be a super cool thing to be able to put in my list, don't you think? I really have no remarkable talent. No special skills. No claim to fame. So, I guess that will be number two. I'm just your average girl. I'm good at most things I put my mind to and great at nothing.
3) I don't believe we will know each other in heaven. That is to say, I believe we will know each other, because we will have perfect knowledge, but it won't matter to us, because we will will "know" and love Mr. Harry Whose-a-ma-callit as much as we know and love Great Aunt Sally Sue. In other words, we will have no particular connection to any one person (say our earthly spouse or child) because we will all share perfect union with Christ. This one drives the master WILD. We've had the debate at least a dozen times in the last ten years, but he still hasn't convinced me. I've also never heard of anyone who shares my view, so if you do, or think you can persuade me otherwise, chime in.
4) I cannot abide flies in the house. And this is the time of the year when they come in by the droves. I can't eat without a swatter in my left hand and my fork in my right. The kids live in fear that one will land on their milk glass, or worse--their head. I get tunnel vision, and the fly is all I can see. MUST KILL FLY. I can't sleep if I know one is still alive in the house. I haven't been able to type this post without making two circuit patrols of the kitchen.
5) I love books. I'm addicted to books. Especially children's books. One day, I'm going to count how many children's books are in our home, but there has to be close to a thousand. Each kid has their own large bookshelf (though the books themselves are considered communal property) and each shelf is packed. And there are books on the floor and under the bed, and on the coffee table, in the van, beside the pot....
6) I'm writing a book. The title is: 52 Fabulous, Fun Family Nights: A Year of Loving, Laughing and Learning With Your Kids. Look for it soon (read someday) in a Lifeway store near you.
7) I think Patrick Swayzee and Patrick Stewart are incredibly sexy. Is it the name? I don't think so, but 'Patrick' is what the master has christened the body pillow I sleep with. I can't sleep without Patrick.
8) I don't eat vegetables.

Well, there you go. I tag Lisa and Cari--fellow bloggers. And Jennifer--my space.

4 comments:

Chaos and Grace said...

First of all, if you are on myspace, you should add me. www.myspace.com/glidewells

Secondly, I share your view on heaven. Also, I don't believe that our loved ones are "in heaven watching over us". I can't imagine that burden, and I wouldn't even want to believe that my grandmother is up there worrying over whether or not the van will get fixed, etc. Once her eyes see Jesus - I don't see her looking back to check on me. She did her job on earth while she was here, and she is done with all that! Just thought I'd share back. Lol!
I may have to do some thinking to blog about me. Ha Ha

Jennifer said...

Oh, come on now...

we all know that God can't be everywhere so He created angels

and when we die we all get our wings

and the streets are really soft and you have to be careful not to make marks in them because they are pure gold

and we will all have little tiaras and pearly cottages

and sing "I Could Sing of Your Love Forever" actually forever and not just two minutes :)

6blessings said...

Cool random things. I really thought the yodelling one was great! My grandpa could yodel and we thought it was great. World champion yodeller- you got me on that one. You're very witty!

Patrick, huh?

Tami said...

Thanks for being a good sport. I loved the one about the flies! I thought I was the only one. ;) And I'm jealous that you're writing a book. I write everyday for a living, but it's articles for a women's magazine. I would really just love to write a book. Sigh. How do you find the time?