Tuesday, October 30, 2007

First Kill


So I'm wondering if my son became a man on Saturday? He has slain a wild beast. My dad started taking K out to the lease as soon as he cleared diapers. And I potty train 'em early. At age five, he actually wounded a buck that they never recovered.

This was youth weekend, and Papa and the master had been totally pumping K up that this was THE year. I worried that he would be too nervous to shoot. K cannot bear to let anyone down. Sure enough, the master says that K was trembling. He watched the little doe for a good ten to fifteen minutes, while the master whispered encouragement. K kept saying, "I can't do it, Dad, I can't do it. I'm shaking too bad." The doe disappeared behind an oak. In desperation, the master appealed to K's sense of duty and said sternly, "Now Son, it is getting dark and this is your last chance to shoot. When she comes out from behind that tree, you put a bead on her and pull the trigger.....YOUR FAMILY NEEDS THIS DEER."

When she emerged a few moments later, K dropped her. When he called to announce the big news, I was at first puzzled and tickled by his closing remark, "And now, the family will have meat!" (As if we do not have a freezer full?!!)Later, as the master explained the scene in the stand, I realized how sweet it was. 'Providing for the family' gave him the extra bit of calm and courage he needed.

Of course, our horde will finish off the ground round from that little deer in two sittings, but he doesn't have to know that now, does he? And it sure will be some tender meat.

3 comments:

junglemama said...

All I can say is WOW. We're not really a hunting family, although I'm sure my husband could get into the sport.

CDJ said...

Way to go K! You're an inspiration to us all. Our "youth" seemed to do more sight-seeing than hunting on Saturday, but we'll see how the season unfolds. Congrats!

Tami said...

Good job K! We're not hunters either, but I can certainly appreciate how difficult it is to bring one of those down!
P.S. - when you go to You Tube there's a box on the right of the video where you can pick up the html coding. Insert it in the html portion of your blog editor and you're set. Hope it helps. If not, email me and I'll try to walk you through it.