Friday, October 12, 2007

Social Worker's Visit (Past Tense)

Maggie was asking about times in our home life that we would not want our children's teachers/doctors/social workers to hear. It made me think of our homestudy visit for Marina. I started to post it as a comment, but decided it was in poor blogger form to leave so much in the comment panel.

Oooh, do I have a story for you! One that actually did go straight into the social worker's ears.
Preface: We spank. Always have. Always will (till the youngest one doesn't need it anymore). I know you are probably totally against that, but it works for us, and we do it in love. Our oldest (8) has not been spanked in almost a year.
Anywho--all of our kids have gone through a "spank the baby" stage. Around about three they start playing house and they feed their babies, and rock them and burp them, and take them to the zoo....etc. They do everything with them that they see us do. Well, just before we had our homestudy, Abby hit the "spank the baby" stage. For about a week, her baby dolls were constantly being caught doing something she had told them NOT to do. And she could be heard all through the house giving them spankings. Only my drama queen attended her disciplinary task with much more gusto than she had ever had performed on her own little hiney, AND instead of using the words WE used when spanking her, she preferred the verbiage reserved for the dogs when piddling on my carpet, "BAD, BAD, BABY!!!! You are a VERY BAD BABY"
The master and I did not know what to do! The social worker was coming at the end of the week! Of course, we had been completely open with the agency and social worker about our family practice of spankings, but Abby's whippings were horrific. Should we coach her? Should we not? Would she say to the SW, "Mommy and Daddy told me what to say." Would she "spank" a baby while the SW was there? We tried gently coaxing her during play, "Oh, no, the baby is not bad. Give sugars to the baby." "She is just a baby! She doesn't know any better." "Mommy did not give you spankings when you were a baby." To no avail! She was still beating the stuffing out of the dolls on Friday. Finally, we sat both the kids down and had a heart to heart with them. We told them that a lady was coming to visit with them the next day. She wanted to make sure that our home was a safe and happy place to be. We told Abby that if she kept spanking the dollies, the lady might think that Mommy and Daddy gave them spankings all of the time. And that wouldn't be right, would it? They both agreed. She might think we were not a good Mommy and Daddy and that it would not be a good idea if any more children became part of our family (we didn't mention that she might decide to take the three we already had!) "So, tomorrow, Abby, please do not give your dollies any spankings while the lady is here" Our speech seemed to work. They went back to playing and no dolls needed "discipline" for the rest of the day.
On Saturday, the SW arrived right on time. She visited with us for about and hour and commented often on how well the children behaved and amused themselves while we chatted. Then she asked if she could talk with the children privately. We knew this would be part of the visit (hence our panic at the dolly beatings). She went to where the children were playing quietly in the bedroom. Peeking around the corner, I saw that the children were reading. Good. Not a doll in sight. I listened with bated breath as the SW introduced herself.
Not a bit shy, my oldest piped up. "Hello! I'm K____ and this is my sister Abby, and we don't get beat very much!"

3 comments:

Maggie said...

Oh no! Glad to hear I'm not the only parent afraid of what their kid might say. Slugger is always 100% honest, but he sometimes thinks to mention the worst things. Like telling his foster parents that he's getting Fs in school (when he truthfully got one F and the rest were As) or that he's too busy to play with friends (which was true that one night, but all other nights that week included play time). Sigh.

Tami said...

Okay...I'm laughing out loud! And the kids are asking me what I'm giggling about! ;) We had something similar with this last homestudy.
JacJac decided that day was the day to be the most awful kid known to man. He pushed our buttons like he had never done before.
Finally, I got sick of it, picked him up and carried him upstairs to bed for a nap.
As we were climbing the stairs, my lovely five year old started yelling, "No, Mamaaaaa...don't spank me. Don't spaaaaank meeeeeee!"
Sigh.
We were approved anyway.

6blessings said...

When D was going through law school, we lived with a 3 year old and twin newborns in a 600 square foot apartment on campus. Of course, the walls were paper thin and you could hear EVERYTHING that happened in our little section.

I will never forget the day H got in trouble and I took her to her room to spank her. I was not doing anything more than the normal swat, but H began screaming at the top of her lungs all the way back to her room, "No, mommy don't hit me. Please don't hit me." Then when she got the spank she proceeded to scream louder, yelling, "You hurt me. You hurt me so bad."

I was so scared the neighbors were going to call the authorities.