Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Good Call Afterall


As many of you may remember, we started looking into our second adoption about a year and half ago. We began with contacting our old agency. They were anything but encouraging about proceeding with another adoption. In our dialogue, they indicated that they believed adding to our family--and thereby displacing Marina--would only be a detriment to the stability of our home and a serious setback for Marina. Once again, thinking back on that exchange, I have to wonder, what did they expected us to do with Randy? Sell him to the down river gypsies? Lock him in a closet for eighteen years? Make an adoption plan for our one year old? Ha. Ha. With B____ serving as the placement agency, no doubt. I mean, really people, that ship had sailed.

We moved adoption to the back burner. Not because of their ludicrous objection, but since we would obviously not be using them again, there was no need to rush. Any psychological damage to Marina by her "displacement" had already been done by the birth of her of little brother. And both the master and I were convinced that having another child join our family through adoption would actually benefit Marina.

The preliminary findings are in: we were right. Cara joining our family has already been the impetus for many positive adoption conversations. Marina is making connections to her adoption story as never before. She is able to compare and contrast her story with Cara's. And this is a child for whom connections do not come easy! If she were a cartoon character, we could pencil in a light bulb right over her head. Marina has been able to see for herself our complete joy, excitement, and acceptance for a baby sister that, "did not grow in Mommy's belly."

Tuesday morning, I was letting Cara "nurse," while her bottle warmed. Abby and Marina came in.

Marina: Mom, what are you doing?

Abby: as though highly knowledgeable on this subject She is feeding Baby Cara. Don't you remember? That is how she fed Randy. Babies drink their mommy's milk.

Me: Actually, Cara is not drinking any milk.

Abby: Why?

Marina: She is not hungry?

Me: No, she is hungry. In just a minute, I will feed her a bottle. I can't give her milk from my breasts, because I did not give birth to her.

Abby: Did I drink breastmilk? *Not sure why she asked this, because she knows that she did. *

Me: Yes

Marina: Did I?

Me: No, you were much older when you came home, and you drank milk from a bottle. Like Cara.

Marina: putting her hand, oh, so softly, on Cara's belly, and sighing contentedly Like me. Cara is adopted. Like me.

And, looking up into my eyes, she smiled.


I think we did the right thing.


6 comments:

CDJ said...

What a picture! What beauty!

Deb said...

Wow! Right thing for sure. How great that adding Cara is helping Marina. That's wonderful. She looks extrememly excited about her baby sister.

Tami said...

This little girl is going to be a blessing in so many ways. It's amazing how God is already using her to help heal Marina's hurts. And what a beautiful pictures of the two of them! :)

Allison said...

Holy cow! I am just now catching up with my blogs and read your news. Oh my goodness. Congratulations!! I am SO excited for your family. Little Cara is beautiful! Now I am going to have to go back and re-read your posts because I had tears in my eyes during the first reading. Congrats!!!

Kelly said...

That pic of Cara and Marina is perfect and precious! I'm so glad that Marina is being blessed by Cara's presence. I hope my kidlets will take the next addition as well. I love y'all so much!

6blessings said...

What a great testimony!

BTW, send me your email address again for that invitation. We've switched computers and I've lost it.