Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I Survived Fall Festival




But it was a close shave. I always make my kids' costumes, and I always say, "NEVER again!" This year I really mean it. I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown and my house looks like...well my house, my house...it may never recover. I was up until 2:00 a.m. feverishly sewing the last touches on a mermaid and two tropical fish. That is hand sewing, mind you...the machine work I finished at 10:00. 'Never operate heavy equipment after 10:00,' is probably a good rule of thumb wouldn't you say? It was only a teeny, tiny bit worth it when an elderly lady asked A where she had gotten such a pretty costume and she answered with audible pride in her voice, "My mommy made it for me!" and so totally not worth it when I ditched his fish 10 minutes into Fall Fest and flatly refused to wear it properly.
But here is the result. Aren't they cute? Now, M and R's costume I did not make. I found them on ebay for cheaper than what I could make them for and oh, so darling. Besides, five costumes would certainly have been the end of me. This year's theme, obviously, "Under the Sea."

3 comments:

6blessings said...

They are soooooo cute! I absolutely adore the octopus. All of them are so great. I remember late nights sewing. I did finally say, "No more." Maybe again someday though. I think it's great you did that for them.

Chaos and Grace said...

These are great cosutmes - for what it's worth I am impressed with the mermaid!!! Well done, mom! I can't believe how big your kids are. This year has really flown by!!!
Now the "Under the Sea" song from Little Mermaid is stuck in my head again:)

Suz said...

Very, very cute! I cannot believe M!! She has grown soooo much! How old is she now?

I'm sorry your blog is feeling bereft of my attention. I've not been cruising the blogs as much this week, I've been busy every day this week going hither and yon!